Friday, December 11, 2015

R2-IQ: Broken Arm

Build Day 45:

Outline of feet
My latest task was to create a shell for the feet which will go on the outside legs.

The feet themselves are not going to move (like the real R2).  The shell is going to move to keep the feet looking flat to the ground.
Standing R2-IQ
I did a full assembly of the current version.  I still need to fill-in the head and finish up the feet.  Beyond that, a few more decorative items, and it will be great.

Fallen Hero
I put it into three-leg mode, and drove it around a bit.  Turns out the new better-looking arms are not as rigid as the old ones.

One of them gave out, just below the shoulder, and the whole body crashed to the floor.
Broken leg
The only thing that was really damaged was the arm.  The whole robot came down on it.

I don't really mean it was damaged.  It came apart.  When I put it back together, it will be stronger.

We can rebuild him.  Better.  Stronger.  Faste...  well, the same speed.  (showing my age?)
Broken Pin
There was one pin in the body that was broken.  It took me about 10 minutes to snap the body back together.  Five of that was trying to figure out why two plates wouldn't go back in place, because there was a bent pin between them.

Just to be clear, this was not a part failure.  It was the result of the entire robot falling over.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good read.
    Just wanted to see something other than 0 comments.

    ReplyDelete