Monday, December 7, 2015

R2-IQ: Weekend Progress

Build Day 41:

Prototype shoulder curve
I spent a lot of time over the weekend, and made very little progress.

My main task over the weekend was building the legs.  I had some prototype legs which were mainly created for their length.

I spent a great deal of time trying to create a good curve at the top of the shoulders.
Shoulder and top of leg
Once I found a good curve, I built it up and discovered the internal structure of the curve hit the internal structure of the shoulder.  I spent a lot of time trying to tweek it, and finally found a way to make it work.
Building a new leg from the old
Then I was able to take apart the old legs, and create a new one.
Standing on the new leg
There are still parts of the leg that need filled in.  I should be getting the new parts in a couple days.  Mainly need some 4x4 plates in white, which I somehow did not put into my original order.

If you look close, you'll notice I've only made one new leg here.

Lower Flange supports

The bottom of R2 has a flange that sticks down on the bottom.  I had to pull the body off the bottom ring, reorient a couple angle connectors, and reattach the body.

Then, I was able to install supports for the flange.

(not sure that's the "correct" name for that part.)
Lower Flange

Once I got all the supports installed and mounted the white pieces...  I didn't like it.

I don't think this part will change in the next couple weeks.  I'll have to live with it.
R2-IQ Pieces
One challenge I will face with R2-IQ is transporting it.  When I break it down, it's pretty light.

In order to take off the legs, the shoulders need to be removable.  I will have to see if they are sturdy enough when they are easy to remove, or if I must make them harder to remove, and more sturdy.

(I just realized I put two of the leg-buttons on wrong, so both legs look the same.  will fix that)
Modified Head
Using only VEX parts, I don't think I'll be able to put as much detail into this as I would like.  There aren't enough "decorative" parts, like there are with LEGO.

Do I want more decorative parts?  Not really.
Standing on two legs
Here's R2-IQ standing on two legs.

Sort of.

I didn't bother to raise the third leg for this picture.  The brain is not attached (see loose wires).
Standing on three legs
R2-IQ can stand on three legs.

I still need to build a shell that goes over the outside feet.  The shell will be able to swing, to make it look like the foot is flat on the ground, even though only one of the two wheels will be rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment